Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Really Getting to Know BB Creams

My personal BB Cream stash: Maybelline, San-san and French brand Le Cbet


I am a loyal user of BB Cream. I got introduced to it mid-2009 and I have been hooked ever since. It really has made my skin better and I am sharing my awesome experience with you here.

There are still a lot of girls who are curious about this so I'm giving the lowdown on BB Creams here. Moreover, I would also like to endorse some brands that I personally tried (out of curiosity) and how they fared in the skin care arena.

First things first: WHAT ARE BB CREAMS?




BB Creams were "invented" in Korea. It stands for Blemish Balm or, because Korea claims trademark over "Blemish", in the Western market, it is called "Beauty Balm". It was originally formulated for Asian skin but now that BB Creams have taken the world by the storm, Westerners began to love it as well, and more and more cosmetic companies are joining the bandwagon.

The BB Cream is referred to as a "balm" because in the mid-80s, Dr. Christine Schrammek, a German dermatologist, introduced this product to Japan and Korea to aid in the post-surgery healing of her clients. It was developed to have everything the skin needs to be spoiled: anti-inflammatory ingredients, moisturizer, serum, sunblock, primer, foundation and other useful minerals. After that, celebrities began picking up the product because it's a beauty multi-tasker.

Today, most BB Creams have high SPF count, have vitamins and minerals embedded in them, anti-aging content and they even come in different shades and density. You can choose according to your needs.

If you are thinking of buying a BB Cream for yourself, check out the ones I've tried and my reviews about them:

Maybelline BB Cream - I'm a huge fan of this product. I have been using Maybelline BB Cream for almost 3 years. It's light enough for everyday wear and you an just put a little more if you want a thicker coverage. It has a moderate amount of SPF (26), minerals and they now come in two shades. Both fit my skin just right so no problem! A 30ml bottle lasts me 5-6 months, and it's only P299. They say it's 8-in-1: brightens, evens, smoothens, refines, cleans, conceals, moisturizes and protects skin. So far, the checklist is working!

San-san BB Cream - The finish looks a little too orangey at first so you have to spread it fast because the density is also a little tricky. What I like about it though is that it has a matte effect that lasts for a long time. It contains Vitamins A, C and E, Hyaluronic Acid, Squalane and SPF 43. I use this for times when it's too hot or if I need to use makeup for the day. Best part: A nice 30ml bottle costs only P149. Downside: comes in only one shade, and it's not advisable for very fair skinned tisays.

Le Cbet BB Cream - I never really heard about this BB Cream until a friend gave it to me. It's a little expensive: the 50ml bottle is nearly P2000. It's a French brand but it is still manufactured in Korea. I use this BB Cream for my neck and shoulders when I have an event to go to because it's a little think and creamy. Sometimes I also use it for my face and it gives a certain glow. It's very vitamin-and-mineral packed, the package says. But it doesn't mention which vitamins and minerals exactly.

The Body Shop Moisture White Shiso BB Cream - I used this quite some time ago; but only because The Body Shop was distributing samples all over the mall. I think I got 3 5ml sachets, which can easily translate into a week's worth of BB Cream. This one's pretty good as well, my skin got fairer instantly after I used it! It has SPF25 and, like Le Cbet, it also gives that special glow. I think it's a little too much for me for moisture though, because my face always ends up oily by midday. 30ml bottle costs P1200.

Missha Signature Complete BB Cream - This one's good for combination or oily skin because it gives just the right amount of glow one needs. Like Le Cbet, it's a little too cakey if you don't apply it well but it's really good. It's a little too expensive for me, around P1500 per 30ml bottle but one time, when I used it for 5 straight days, I noticed that my skin got better. Many say it's the holy grail of BB Creams. Has SPF 25.


Here's why I truly love BB Cream: it does a lot of things at once. It conceals, acts as a makeup primer, provides sun protection, moisturizes and it's also packed with vitamins and minerals. It's the perfect product for busybodies like me. How about you? How's your experience with this multi-tasking cream? :-)

2 comments:

  1. This is very helpful, especially for make-up virgins like me... I wonder which one works best for super-sensitive skin (Read: one that can get irritated even with baby powder). Or if I should even try at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybelline works for me and it's very light. It claims to be non comedogenic (won't clog pores) but the ingredients show sodium chloride, which is a pore-clogging ingredient so maybe it's a hit-or-miss with that.

      Many swear by Etude House and SkinFood BB Creams because they are organic, non comedogenic, hypo allergenic and were tested on Asian skin, under regular Asian climates. :)

      Delete