Friday, May 24, 2013

How to Lose Weight Even if You're Busy (or Lazy)

(pic from calorieguide.org)


Let’s admit it: sometimes we are just dying to lose weight but then again, we are either too busy or too lazy. I’ve been there. And let me tell you this: with just a few lifestyle tweaks, I lost 8 pounds in less than 3 weeks. What’s more, I didn’t have to starve myself, sweat it out or let it get in the way of work. If you know me personally, you’d know how busy I am.

I know there are a lot of people who could also be going through what I went through so I am sharing with you my techniques on how I lost weight in a short period of time, without feeling like I’m sacrificing a huge part of my life.


Be a More Conscious Eater

Pork is yummy. I’d tackle a plate of lechon kawali and pork steak anytime. Beef is yummy. Bistek tagalong and tapa? Take all my money! I don’t deprive myself these things. Instead, I take them early in the day (preferably breakfast) so my “red meat” quota is filled for the day. Then I’d eat other healthier things along the way. I know, in my heart, that these are not good for me. So I only take them to fulfill a certain craving, but I don’t live on them.  Also, when I eat, I eat consciously. You have to tackle weight loss smartly or else you’ll end up tired or still fat.

By conscious I mean knowing that I only eat to survive, and that I eat to feel full. When I feel full, I have programmed myself to believe that I have achieved the fullness of eating, so I stop. No matter how many desserts are staring back at me. I also make it a point to not eat fast so I don’t overeat.

Learn to Unlove Rice a Little

I thought I would die at the fact of having to give up rice just to lose weight. However, I didn’t have to, really. All I did was unlove it a little and that helped a lot. There are plenty of rice substitutes like soda crackers, pasta and bread. Some days, I still eat rice 3x a day but I only eat half a cup. This way, my natural consumption is still reduced to half, I just fill a few grains less on each spoonful. Needless to say, I still feel full and I don’t feel like I’ve deprived myself of eating rice.

Don’t Starve Yourself

Never, ever starve yourself. Technically, you will lose weight because you are not eating anything (DUH) but this is bad for you. You won’t be able to think clearly and you will feel weaker, generally. Instead of starving yourself, try prolonging that “full” feeling by drinking lots of water. If you starve yourself, most likely this will backfire, and you will end up eating more in a very short period of time just to appease your hunger. What’s worse, the cravings that you will get after a long period of starvation could be unbelievably wild.

Worship Your Thinner Self

When you start seeing and feeling that you’re shedding off pounds, take time to stare at yourself in front of the mirror and admire how good you look. Take extra time to celebrate those thinner arms, your newfound thigh gap, the increased visibility of your collar bones and think about all the clothes that will look better on you now that you’re thinner. Smile at your scale when it shows that you’ve officially lost weight. Reward yourself with something non-food like a movie or new shoes everytime you hit a milestone. This will help motivate you, thus, making this “weight loss program”  more sustainable.

Stretch in the Morning

No! I’m not asking you to actually exercise. Don’t worry, I barely have time for that too. Instead, I’m asking you to invest in 5-10mins of stretching early in the morning. This gets your blood circulation moving faster, thus, making you feel awake in a natural way. What’s more, you get to tone your muscles a little (weight loss must not equate to looking weak!) and it also helps you prevent injuries. In fact, you can do with just 5 minutes. And don’t tell me you can’t do that. That amount of time is shorter than Bohemian Rhapsody.


A friend once told me, “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.”  I believe her. I’m lucky I didn’t have to suffer to get my target weight. I’m still continuing this self-made program because I want to lose 2 extra pounds. See, it’s not difficult, right? Just follow it and wait for the compliments to pour in. See you in Sexyville! J

No comments:

Post a Comment